Friday 13 June 2014

Marina Ambramovic @ Serpentine

Went to see Marina Abramovic work at the Serpentine on Wed. It felt like a pilgrimage to see a living God. As I waited in a short Que a lady behind me started talking and was very confused and not sure this could really be called art. She said what can we expect and what will you do swear at her slap her... WHAT! She had seen it advertised on TV and just felt she should come and have a look...


As we waited a old fella was carried out by two bouncers and was shouting and being abusive. Saying that he just wanted to tell her that this was making a mockery of art and that it was wrong... He then started shouting at the us for being stupid and being taken in by this whole thing. I love art that has the power to make people react in either a confused state or one with complete passion and anger. I was already liking this. However it was a much more spiritual experience. There were a lot of people standing around with someone suddenly walking to another person and holding them by the hand and taking them for a walk around the gallery space... sitting them down or leaving them facing the wall or into the space whispering something and then moving on... Marina walked towards me, I could not help but smile I felt like I had won the lottery and this legend artist person had noticed me and took me by the hand. we started walking and I felt the envy of the other people as we walked past. She gestured for me to sit down and then lent onto me and whispered "so you finally came, close your eyes and breath slowly, taking in the people energy around you. This is my gift to you". I struggled to sit there for long and kept opening my eyes to see what others were up to would someone laugh or look across and give me that 'What the Fuck, sort of look". But nobody did and so I got up and went back to the place she had taken me from others were still in the same place and new faces had arrived. I had an overwhelming urge to go up to someone and take them by the hand...


I also went to see ED Atkins at the second newer serpentine building. The Video was amazing and I really want to go back and task in the text. But I was in a bit of a rush. I did sit on the brick ledge and was asked not to sit there, Which I thought a little strange...
 Went too the slade MA show and met lots of Chelsea people walking around, one or two things I really liked otherwise it felt very polite.







No comments:

Post a Comment